Welcome!

This is a blog where we will discuss how to develop a social studies mind when engaging in reading.

Sunday, November 13, 2011

A Step Forward

How does one actually go about developing a Social Studies mind? What exactly does that mean?

To begin with, a Social Studies mind is not some sort of super power gained through atypical means, but it can be acquired through practice. Most of us already have the capabilities to form this method of inquiry, but few of us use it knowingly.

Critical thinking is at the heart of the Social Studies mind. I do not mean being critical about what you are reading. Critical Thinking is a skill set which derives from the power of inquiry. It produces a "safety net" in the mind which allows you to filter through the ridiculous and arrive a a more "sane" destination. The end result, after years of practice, should be a mind which is in tune with the sum of all knowledge gained by the individual. For example: When I read a news article, I automatically put on my filter and begin the analysis of information. I cannot allow myself to believe everything that I read, just because it was written by a reporter. I know, because of my Social Studies mind, that humans are fallible. I also know that profits drive sales of news. These two together are enough for me to want verification from different sources before I believe what I read. This is Critical Thinking.

The Social Studies mind also draws information from research and knowing "how" to reserch. Wikipedia is not a good source of reliable information because it can be constructed by anyone and is not peer reviewed, this makes for a messy interpretation. Scholarly journals, .org or .gov websites are reputable sources, but any critical thinker will always verify information through multiple sources.

Basically, the road to a Social Studies mind starts with critical thinking skills. Those are developed over time. Ther are a few things to recognize as you engage in developing these skills:
1. Assume that truth is not handed out. Do not believe everything you read or hear.
2. Be willing to seek truth out. Verify the information through multiple sources.
3. Be willing to alter your perception. Humans are never right all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment